Wednesday, February 15, 2017

The Best of the Year in Media 2016 - Part 2 Music

The Best of the Year in Media 2016

Music

Anderson .Paak – Malibu -  Upon first hearing “Come Down” I was blown away by the funky groove and couldn’t stop hitting repeat on the track as well as moving to the it. The song was reminiscent of something Kendrick Lamar might have put out. It took me sometime before I even took the time to listen to the rest of the album and was pleasantly surprised when I did. Not since John Legend’s early albums have I heard something so soulful with a mix of Hip Hop and piano.
Top tracks: Come Down, Put Me Thru, Am I Wrong and Celebrate   

Angel Olsen – My Woman – Angel Olsen had the one album that I heard this year that after the first listen I knew it would be in my best of the year, the album is just that good. Olsen invokes a mix of indie and punk music with harsh grinding guitars and her unique voice that is reminiscent of Patti Smith, The Cowboy Junkies or Karen O.
Top tracks: Shut up kiss Me, Sister, Intern, and Never Be Mine

Band of Horses – Why are you OK – Soft-indie-rockers Band of Horses have been putting quality albums together now for a decade and this album shows no sign of rust. They offer grinding guitars with a mix of harmonies and introspective lyrics with the songs being just poppy enough to be catchy ear worms. Recommended to fans of My Morning Jacket or Rural Alberta Advantage.
Top tracks – Dull Times/ Moon, Solemn Oath, Casual Party, In A Drawer and Throw my Mess

Beyonce – Lemonade – Not sure what I can really say that hasn’t already been said about this album. The surprise release, the all to honest subject matter, the genre pushing style and feel all add up to make this album maybe the best album of Beyonce’s career. Don’t Hurt Yourself , her joint venture with Jack White, is maybe the best song of the year. The song shatters genre conventions and is delivered with such passion and honesty you can’t but help but be caught in its web.  
Top tracks – Hold up, Don’t Hurt Yourself, 6 Inch, Formation, and Freedom

Dinosaur jr. – Give a Glimpse of what yer not – Grinding guitars, harmonies, catchy pop style lyrics, the four years in-between albums and more then 30 years making records hasn’t slowed this group down from making great rock songs. I’ve been a big fan of what J Mascis has been doing with his solo albums but here he rejoins with the rest of the crew to give us another solid album.
Top tracks -  Goin Down, Be a Part, Good to Know, I Walk for Miles,  Mirror

Frightened Rabbit – Painting of a Panic Attack – The brilliant band from Glasgow is back with another moody scary good album. The indie folk rockers are one of my favourite current bands. Their mix of melancholy tones and haunting introspective lyrics tap my emotions like no other current band. If you haven’t checked out their past albums please do so, but also grab this one cause it’s just as genius as the albums that proceed it.   
Top tracks – Death Dream, Get Out, Woke Up Hurting, An Otherwise Disappointing Life, Lump Street, Wit ‘Til The Morning

Lera Lynn – Resistor – I only discovered Lera Lynn a few years ago, with her involvement with the HBO show True Detective, but since she’s been one of my favourite singer song writers. Her dark deep lyrics match her dark somber tone. This album seems to offer a bigger sound for her with more then just a guitar leading the way and it really works well for her. I can see she will be an artist I will follow for some time and I think you should too.
Top tracks – What You Done, Drive, Cut + Burn, For the Last Time, Fade into Black, Little Ruby

The Lumineers – Cleopatra – The second album from the Lumineers offers more of the same from the folk indie rockers, and that’s a good thing. The smart poppy lyrics match the catchy hooked filled instruments. I dare anyone to listen to the bouncy piano of their song Ophelia and not be singing along by the end of the song. In a lot of ways this album shows a lot of growth from their first album that put them on the world stage and that’s great news for them and us.
Top tracks – Sleep On The Floor, Ophelia, Cleopatra, Angela, Gale Song, Long Way From Home

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis – This unruly mess I’ve made – The second album from duo of Ryan Lewis and Macklemore and this one is pretty close to their amazing first album; The same catchy beats and groves over fast funny smart rhymes. This album not only features guests that make up the future like Anderson .Paak, Chance the Rapper and Leon Bridges ,but also pays homage to the past with appearances by KRS-One, DJ Premier, Melle Mel and Kool Moe Dee. This duo’s style of social conscience rap is a welcome breath of fresh air to a hip hop genre that has seemingly is slowly dying. 
Top tracks – Light Tunnels, Downtown, Dance Off, Brad Pitt’s Cousin, Kevin, Let’s Eat, White Privilege

Sia – This is Acting (Deluxe)- The most surprising entry to me on this list, mostly because I’m not that big of a fan of pop music, but this album is just so powerful. The first way this album won me over is that Sia includes lots of piano and I’m a sucker for the sound of a piano. That mixed with her powerful unique voice and danceable beats make this album one of the best of the year.
Top tracks – Bird Set Free, Alive, Cheap Thrills, The Greatest, One Million Bullets, Move Your Body


No comments:

Post a Comment