Sunday, December 11, 2016

What's Interesting in Previews Feb. 2017

What’s Interesting in Previews for December 2016 .
Of Books Mostly coming out in February 2017 or Later 

DC Comics

Deathstroke Vol.1: The Professional TPB by Christopher Priest and Various – I’ve never read a Deathstoke book, until DC announced that they had hired Christopher Priest to write the book and I have not been disappointed. Deathstoke under Priest is just as complex a narrative as his work on Black Panther over a decade ago. 

JSA: The Golden Age Deluxe Edition HC by James Robinson and Paul Smith – One of my all time favourite stories. The Golden Age is an alternate history story of the Justice Society, which had me sitting on the age of my seat the entire way. I’m happy it’s finally getting the deluxe treatment by DC. It’s certainly an Evergreen title for them, as the original story came out in 1995.   

The Flintstones Vol. 1 TPB by Mark Russell and Steve Pugh – The Flintstones has been a surprise hit. Writer Mark Russell has proven the political satire skills he showed on Prez was no fluke and he has continued his thoughtful punchy stories here with the Flintstones.

The Wild Storm #1 by Warren Ellis and Jon Davis-Hunt – In the late 90s the Wildstorm line of books was still at Image comics and was being reinvented by Alan Moore, James Robinson and Warren Ellis. Under their pens the line became some of the best books being published and I’m sure was one of the main selling points for DC to purchase the IP’s from Jim Lee. The line and IP’s as of late have not been very strong sales wise or creatively, so I find it interesting that DC has turned back to Warren Ellis, who all things considered was the main creative force of quality comics under the Wildstorm banner in the past. Ellis also has his demons, for as many times Ellis has produced work like Authority or Planetary he has also done books like Desolation Jones, which just cease publication. Marvel has also tapped Ellis in the past to spear head a line of their X-Books. And I would say that the Marvel Counter–X books are closer to Desolation Jones then Authority. So, I think the Wild Storm will be super interesting to see if DC has a new hit or if fans will be wondering what ever happened to that book?   

Justice league of America: Rebirth #1 by Steve Orlando and Ivan Reis – Can you say Synergy? I know DC wants to, with this terrible offering of mixed and matched characters that only have one thing in common. They are all characters on DC television shows. A team of Black Canary and Vixen from Green Arrow, The Ray, and the Atom from DC Legends of Tomorrow, Killer Frost from The Flash and add Lobo who rumour has it will be a DC movie soon and then to make sure you can call it a Justice League book and to boost sales Batman. I feel bad for Steve Orlando who is being rewarded with stellar writing on his Midnighter book with this flaming pile of forced narrative garbage. It will be interesting if he can polish this piece of coal into a diamond? I’m not sure how he could?  

Marvel Comics

Kingpin #1 Matthew Rosenberg and Ben Torres – Rosenberg’s body of work is not very large yet, but it is impressive. His stories at Black Mask have all been very original and his work on the Kingpin: Civil War II tie in book was great. I look forward to his new fresh voice in the industry and especially in crime comics. 

Spider-man’s Tangled Web Omnibus HC by Various – I’m not sure there’s a Spider-man book I can recommend more then this. Back in the Bill Jemas era at Marvel comics they took risks and did books not for sales but for quality stories. There was no finer example of this then Tangled Web. It features Spidey stories from Garth Ennis, Greg Rucka (who won the Eisner for his), Peter Milligan, Bruce Jones, Kaare Andrews, Darwyn Cooke (some of his very rare Marvel work), Brian Azarello, Paul Pope, Ted McKeever, John McCrea, Eduardo Risso, Duncan Fregredo, Lee Weeks, Sean Phillips, and Jim Mahfood. Ok if there’s not a creator there you like, then you don’t like comics. I can’t wait to get this book.
  
Night Raven: From the marvel UK vaults TPB by Various – So Marvel is pulling stories from their Marvel UK imprint featuring stories by Alan Moore, Steve Parkhouse, David Lloyd and John Bolton. Hell Yes. I’m a big fan of most of Moore’s work, so to find new stories from back in the early to mid eighties when these stories must be from is something I find very interesting. 

Image Comics

The Old Guard #1 by Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez – What Greg Rucka has a new monthly comic? Done. Sign me up. Ok ok it’s awesome to see him work with Leandro Fernandez again. After all it’s been awhile since they were working on Queen & Country together.

Velvet Deluxe HC by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting – I admit I pretty much love everything Ed Brubaker writes, but his teaming with Steve Epting on this political spy thriller is just special. The series featured the best art of Epting’s career so far. And the spy thriller seemed to be in the same vein as something John Le Carre would have written.

Dynamite


John Carter The End by Brian Wood and Alex Cox – I’ll be honest I thought the John Carter movie was pretty fun, but I’m a sucker for the old Pulp characters. I’m also a fan of these “The End” type stories that Marvel brought to the forefront. So a mix of the two plus Brian Wood who is one of my favourite writers and who is currently in a great groove with books like Briggs Landing and The Black Road makes this title a lock for me to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment